Q & A with Andrew


121: Why did you accept the invitation to speak at the 121 conference?

Andrew: I am excited to join Rob, Eric and Matthew at this conference because I love to proclaim God's truth about himself and because I desire that the generation to come embrace these truths and order their lives based on God's character.

121: How did God lead you to your current ministry?

Andrew: God providentially led me to the girl of my dreams who happened to attend Hampton Park. The right thing to do while dating is join your date for any services you can. So I began attending Hampton Park because I loved this girl. This was toward the end of the faithful career of Pastor Yearick, who, with the church, brought Pastor Conley on as Associate Pastor. While there, Pastor Conley began a class called Training in Ministry that met Monday evenings. I attended that class and grew in my love for the local church and of this man who would soon be shepherding this flock. I found in Pastor Conley a man with whom my heart resonated. His desire for a biblically saturated flock and his passionate pursuit to uphold the centrality of the Word met me right where I was. So when the chance opened up for me to join the pastoral staff as intern, I jumped at it. After a year there was a need for me to fill in with the teens, and though I would have never chosen this role--not so much because of who the teens are but because of my own gifts and calling--I have found deep joy in serving the next generation. I have grown in my love for them and my desire to see them love the truth and live the truth. So I serve now not by my own choice but by the gracious leading of an all-wise God who gives gifts as he determines.

121: Why should teens attend this conference (and not just because you are going to be speaking)?

Andrew: Teens should attend because God is who he is, and teens need to see him in his majestic sovereignty and tender kindness. They need to build strongholds around their thinking with the bricks of God's character so when they confront skeptics while helping dig out from a tsunami or earthquake, or encourage a friend who just buried his dad, or ask God why their parents got divorced or why they broke their ankle before the state tournament, they will stand strong for God's glory. They need to attend because this conference is about God. And teens need God more than anything else.

No comments: